Monday, February 6, 2012

Learning Journal #6

 I felt like last class discussion was specifically geared towards me, it was a great lesson. Monochronic versus polychronic time; it sounds more complicated than it really is. Basically, a monochronic timetable is what we typically use in the U.S. People schedule set appointments compartmentalizing their lives, living in a task-based manner. "Time is money" and no one wants to "waste time" waiting! While polychronic time is just the opposite. People multi-task letting the order of their tasks be dictated by realtionships. This system is people-based. This timetable sounds very familiar to the one Sione (my Tongan professor) described. He told us that in Tonga, time means nothing. It is not valuable to them. In Tonga, they have all the time in the world, so instead of valuing time and their schedules, they value relationships. Devoting quality time with family and friends is the most important thing for Tongans.

Learning about these approaches to time management really helped me understand how/why things work. I have always been a monochronic girl, set to a particular schedule dividing my day in to organized sections and polychronic people seemed lazy and rude. I never understood the difference between task-based and people-based living. Learning about the priorities of polychronic time management makes those people seem less lazy and rude, and almost more considerate and selfless. I am really excited to live and Tonga, submerged in a culture where time means nothing and relationships mean everything. I think it will be a refreshing and relaxing change.

This lesson may also be helpful in my project, while I research different headache triggers. Maybe polychronic time plays a role in a low-stress lifestyle which prevents headaches. We'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment